Sunday 18 May 2014

Fashion Dilemmas.

Have you ever felt like you just want to be someone else? Living a different life, looking at something new in the mirror. Yeah, me too.

Phase 1:
Tomboy
I remember my very first day of year one, I was excited and nervous because I had lived with my aunty for a year or so and I didn't really grow up with the kids from my home town. If I was put in this situation now I probably would've backed out and not even gone to school just to avoid all of the judgemental eyes of my peers but back then I was invincible. Throughout primary school I became the 'top dog', everyone knew me, I could boss people around, I was the best in my class, and I was friends with the older kids. I was basically that little shit that thought they were better than everyone else, probably because I was afraid of being the loser of the school. In year six I decided that I had had enough of being mean to everyone and dressing all girly so I decided to hang out with the boys and buy clothes that they would wear. I spent my days climbing on the monkey bars rather than sitting around on the outskirts with my minions. I really liked the new me and played this part until halfway through my first year of high school.

Phase 2:
Band Tee's
My first year of high school sucked. I didn't know anyone and I noone wanted to know me. I felt so different from everyone else, even though we all were made to look the same. I just didn't fit in at all. At home I felt the same. I left all of my old friends to go to this new school and I felt like I had noone. Through the bus trips to and from school I started talking to the older kids and sort of became apart of their group. They were all into screamo and so I started listening to it too. Thats when I started accumulating a few band tshirts. I rummaged through mums clothes and found this old concert tshirt that she had. It became my absolute favourite top and I wore it everywhere. Then one of my friends gave me a brand new Parkway Drive top, which replaced the top from mum. I wore that shirt 90% of the time and absolutely loved it to death. Halfway through my first year, I used the confidence that my older friends gave me to go and sit with the group of girls that seemed the most welcoming.

Phase 3:
Opshop Finds
These girls were absolutely wonderful! They were all so kind and lovely and I was so grateful that they took me in. From this I started meeting new people and thats when I met my best friend after she moved from her old school. We were inseparable all through high school. We just got each other and it was so much fun hanging out with her. Opshopping was one of our favourite things to do and I must say that we were pretty damn good at it. We found some great things and sort of became known as 'opshop queens'. This girl was more on the popular side, which allowed me to merge into the popular group.

Phase 4:
Ew
There was always pressure to be skinny and go out throughout high school but it accelerated through years nine and ten. During this time my older friends and the girls from the popular group introduced me to the party scene and so my style changed to fit theirs as well. On weekends I would wear the shortest dress I could find and straighten my hair until there was no life in it. This is what I thought everyone else was doing so I just followed suit. Looking back now I feel ashamed, I cant believe how I was dressing! Now I can see why mum would always comment and say "don't you think thats a bit short?" After a massive wake up call, I stopped going out and started focusing on what I felt comfortable in. 

Phase 5:
Comfy
I started wearing casual dresses in the summer and leggings and a baggy button up in the winter because these clothes were comfy and hid my chubby bits (or at least I thought). During this phase I wasn't really paying attention to what I wore but rather just grabbed the first thing that I saw. I was content with where my life was thanks to one amazing person who has changed my life forever. He is the best! 

Phase 6:
Black
I feel like my fashion sense has definitely come a long way and I am wearing things based on the 'Comfy' phase mixed with a bit of influence from people on the street and on social media. I love wearing all black because its simple. It doesn't make me stand out and I like that. I feel comfortable with where I am now and would love to drop a few kilos to make the black shine even more. Fashion is great and I can't wait to be more involved in it.  

Thanks for reading, sorry there is no pictures but I played around with the format to make it look more interesting.

Love, love, love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment